Apart from logging in into Home Assistant to check your dashboards for events it would be handy to get notifications on your phone automatically when something happens. One of the notifications services which can be used is Pushover. This article describes setting up Pushover notifications for use within Home Assistant.
It requires installation of the Pushover app on your Android or Apple iOS device, creation of an account at Pushover and configuration of the Pushover integration within Home Assistant.
The following is required for setting up Pushover notifications:
- An account at Pushover
- Installed Pushover app installed on your mobile device
- Home Assistant Pushover integration
3. Create an account at Pushover
Execute the following steps:
- Go to the Pushover website to signup for a Pushover account
- Enter email and password
- Next screen will be displayed with a yellow info box on top indicating you need to confirm your email address. Please do so.
A new tab will be opened in the browser showing same screen, but with green bar to confirm email address has been verified. The user key is later required.
- Add Home Assistant as an application to make it easier to differentiate between notifications from other applications you might use Pushover for, Click on the Create an application link.
- Perform the following steps:
- Enter the name for the application: Home Assistant
- Choose an image to be used as icon for notifications originating from Home Assistant. I use:
- Check you agree with terms of service etc.
- Click on the button “Create Application”
- The key for the Home Assistant application will be shown
which is required later. Click “Back to Apps”in the upper right.
- Repeat the steps above for every user to be added.
4. Install the Pushover integration in Home Assistant
Execute the following steps:
- Within Home Assistant go to Settings > Devices & Services and click on Add integration at the lower left.
- In the search box enter pushover and click on the Pushover integration
- Fill in the required information for the Pushover connection to be setup:
- Name for the pushover integration. Be aware for every user a new Pushover integration needs to be added. I used the name syntax “Pushover – <username> – Home Assistant”
- Add the API key, which is the Home Assistant Pushover API Token/Key as shown in the Pushover account
- Add the Pushover user key
- Click on submit. A confirmation will be shown
- Repeat steps 1-4 for every user. In the Home Assistant integrations overview it will look like
5. Setup an Automation to send notifications
For background information see the Home Assistant Pushover integration documentation. Perform the steps below to test setting up Pushover notifications has been correctly completed.
- Go to Settings > Automations & Scenes and click on “Create automation” at the lower left.
- Select “Start with an empty automation”
- Click on “add action” and select “Call services”
- Type pushover and select the pushover connection for a user
- Enter notification info similar to example below:
The data field can be copied from below:
YAML123attachment: /config/www/images/afvalwijzer/restafval.pnghtml: 1sound: bike
The attachment should point to an image stored at your Home Assistant folder structure.
- Save the Automation and run it
My mobile shows the following notification:
This confirms the Pushover integration has been configured correctly.
6. Additional information
The data field in the Automation for the Pushover notification can contain more information such as for example URLs. See the Pushover API for more details. Also information can be found on the Home Assistant community, for example Pushing Images with Pushover 3.0.
On our Home Assistant we use it for:
There are more notification integrations available for Home Assistant in case you do not want to use Pushover.