1. The Xiaomi Aqara Temperature and Humidity sensor
The Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor is manufactured by Lumi United Technology Co., a company owned by Xiaomi. It monitors temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure in real time. It is compatible with Mi Home, de Apple Homekit, Alexa, Homey, Home Assistant and Domoticz. The sensor uses the Zigbee Low Energy technology. Expected battery life is 2 years.
|Max transmit power||9.99 dBm|
|Working Frequency||2400 MHz – 2483.5 MHz|
|Temperature||Range: -20℃~+50°C (-4℉~+122℉)|
Precision: ±0.3℃ (±0.5°F)
|Humidity||Range: 0 – 100% RH (non-condensing)|
|Atmospheric Pressure||30 kPa – 110 kPa, ±0.12 kPa|
|Dimensions||36 × 36 × 9 mm (1.42 × 1.42 × 0.35 in.)|
|In the box||Temperature and Humidity Sensor x 1,|
Sticker x 1, Quick Start Guide x 1
|Price (Nov'21)||€ 14,- to € 17,-|
3. Sensor application
The Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor can be attached to a surface with the sticker. It is to be used indoor as stated by the manufacturer (in manual and FAQ):
- This product is designed for indoor use only. Do NOT use in humid environments or outdoors.
- Beware of moisture, do NOT spill water or other liquids onto the product.
- Do not place it at a location exposed to rain or vapor if possible;
- Do not install it in the refrigerator, kitchen or washroom if possible.
- The Temperature and Humidity Sensor is suitable for indoor use. Normal operating temperature: -20~50℃; humidity: 0~100%, non-condensing environment.
Note: The Dutch store XiaomiProducts claims the Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor can withstand light rainfalls and hence can be used outdoor. Seems no guarantees here seen the statements from the manufacturer.
4. Instructions for use
The manual for the Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor can be downloaded from the manufacturers website (Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor). In case it is not available anymore there, it is also available via this site (manual).
The Aqara website for the sensor has also a FAQ. Some specifics from the FAQ:
6. How to reset the Temperature and Humidity Sensor?
If you do not want to use it or you want to add it under other hubs, press and hold the reset button for over 5s until the indicator flashes three times. Then the hub will give a voice prompt “Device Deleted”.
7. What is the function of the button on the Temperature and Humidity Sensor?
Single press to check the connectivity to the Hub. It will report the temperature and humidity data to the Control hub. Long press to add and reset sub-devices.
11. How often does the Temperature and Humidity Sensor upload data?
If the temperature humidity and atmospheric pressure varies a bit only, data will be reported once an hour. If the temperature variation exceeds 0.5℃, the humidity variation exceeds 6% and the atmospheric pressure is no less than 25Pa, data will be reported instantly.
12. What is the alerting mechanism of the Temperature and Humidity Sensor?
When the Temperature and Humidity Sensor detects that current environment is out of the comfort zone, it will push notifications to the mobile phone. This function can be disabled in the app.
14. What is the maximum responsive distance between the Temperature and Humidity Sensor and the hub? Are walls permissible in the range?
Indoor responsive distance is about 10m (walls are permissible); outdoor responsive distance is about 65m.
Readily available (at least in The Netherlands) via multiple online stores. I bought them via XiaomiProducts, which sells the sensor cheap if you buy at least 2 of them.